This survey is being conducted in order to help the church leaders understand your comfort levels and priorities in confidently being able to physically attend worship in the Sanctuary of the United Methodist Church of Hyde Park. The below list of operating assumptions fulfill the recommendations of the Center for Disease Control and the New York Annual Conference expectations for consistency in worship.
Let us start with some given assumptions:
- We will at some point in the near future be able to gather in groups up to 50. (With Social distancing, the Trustees have worked out that we can safely seat 68 individuals/families.)
- We will be adhering to the basic rules for gathering as articulated by the Center for Disease Control: social distancing, face mask use, hand disinfecting, and limited access to surfaces.
- We will limit the amount of vapor producing activities: no singing, no responsive prayers, no choir or praise band.
- Church surfaces are disinfected before each service. Either on a weekly basis if only one service is offered, or all surfaces are wiped down in between services.
- Attendance is taken online and, for those without internet, through weekly cleaned attendance kits. (pencil and card in a Ziplock snack bag, recycled pencil and bag disinfected weekly.)
- There are spare "loaner" masks available that are cleaned with bleach weekly.
- Offering is collected in a box, no plates are passed.
- Hymnals, Bibles, and pew cards are unavailable. (All worship elements will be on the projection screen.)
- Until we have a vaccine we will not be celebrating communion (we might use the individually sealed host and cups), baptisms.
- No hand shaking or passing of the peace.
- There is an orderly process for entry and exiting that maintains the social distancing of 6 feet at all times.
- There is adequate signage explaining to everyone our requirements, and we will stop the service if anyone chooses to not take seriously the love and concern for others as a priority. (Like refusing to wear a mask or not socially distancing.)
- There will be a no touch thermometer on site should anyone wish to check their temperature.
- Tissues and paper towels will be available.
With those givens, please take a moment to answer the following questions: